Friday, June 15, 2012

Car Wreck

What's left of the Sundance...
Everything seemed to move in slow motion. With the sudden forward jerk of the car, my head flew back. My first thought was "Did the window just shatter?!". One more bang occurred as we hit the car in front of us.  

Jody and I were stopped at a red light on our way to church. Being a part of the 3-vehicle-wreck that ended up being just a fender bender prepared our hearts to think about eternity. The wreck could have been much worse. We could have been a part of the 40,000 souls who die in car accidents each year in the USA. In the flash of a second, your perspective of life changes. No longer was I worried about getting to church on time, but I was thinking about if I was ready to meet the Lord. 

Just moments before I was upset at Jody. He didn't feel comfortable with me spending $63 dollars on a dress for our engagement photo shoot. I wanted to tell him we weren't married yet and that it wasn't his money. It was my money and I could do what I wanted with it! My attitude was utterly selfish. While I hadn't uttered any of those words to him, my mouth had wanted to spew them out. 

If that car had hit us harder, within a second, I would've been standing before Jesus. I would have been standing before Him, the Lord of the universe. The One who told me to give self up and live for others. 

Let me tell you, I'm so glad we didn't die that day. I would've despised myself, standing before the King with the thoughts I'd just had about Jody. The Lord gave Jody and I His protecting grace that evening. 

Are you ready? At any moment you might see the King of kings, suddenly, before His holy throne. What do you want to be doing when you die? Do it all the time and you'll never stand before the Lord with regrets.

2 comments:

  1. Very good perspective, Elizabeth...really makes you think!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Amazing.

    I think you're one of my favorite people. Thank you for allowing the Lord to use you and being so gut-wrenchingly honest. I so admire how much you've grown in Him. Years back you never would've published something like this. And here you are... I'm so proud. And I love you so very much.

    ReplyDelete