Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Wimpy Missionary



Yep that is me! I have been here for a little over a month now and I won't deny that I have days when I just want to come home. At least once a week, I want to throw in the towel with Spanish, hop on a plane, and say goodbye! 

Studying Spanish would take so much of my time and I would use it as an excuse not to serve those around me. I mean, the whole reason God wanted me to come to Guatemala was so I could learn Spanish, right? I was quite wrong in thinking that. 

A week or so ago, God corrected me. He reminded me again today about how He had corrected me about this because I had forgotten and had fallen into the same trap again. 

He said to me, "Elisabeth, you aren't here to learn Spanish". 

I was like, "What God? I don't think I heard you correctly". 

He then said, "You purpose here isn't to learn Spanish. Your purpose is to bring Me glory and to minister to those around you. So, stop focusing on yourself!"

Ouch. That hurt. I had been putting too much stock in learning Spanish and was forgetting the real reason any of us are here on this earth. Just because I am in Guatemala and I am learning Spanish doesn't change the original mission. The mission has always been and will always be to bring God glory. 

2 comments:

  1. Amen to that! To often we can forget that our main purpose is to glorify God in every situation. I've run into it countless times and even more I get reminded the real purpose. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're a wise young lady, Bebo. Always have been.

    ReplyDelete